Welcome!

This blog is set up for anyone who loves to read but especially anyone who enjoys a good Young Adult selection. I am 34 but have found the I truly enjoy many of the Young Adult books! One of my favorite authors is the author of Shiver, Linger and Forever, Maggie Stiefvater. I am looking forward to sharing many books that I have read and will be reading and I hope you too will share your own Young Adult books that you may be reading! Any suggestions, ideas or comments are greatly appreciated! I hope you enjoy this as much as I am!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

O’Brien, T(2009). The Things They Carried. New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1990. Print.

              

                I had never even heard of this book until this class.  I thought it sounded interesting just by the title, then I read the back of the book and it hooked me in.  The picture on the cover was beige and brown which is supposed to mean serenity but the book was not all about serenity.   War is definitely not serene.  The book is small in size and weight and would easily fit in a bag or backpack. 
                The story which mostly takes place during the Vietnam War also has some flashes into the authors present and past.  In the beginning the author really describes what each person’s job was and what they carried for war gear.  It was very interesting to learn about the soldiers, their jobs, and the things that they went through during war.  I felt like O’Brien really painted a nice picture of what was around him, what they saw, heard and how they felt.  As the story progressed there were other stories of other things that had happened in his life that affected him just as much as the war did.  The stories just flowed throughout the book making it very easy to understand and get hooked.
                I really enjoyed learning about what soldiers went through but I also like how the author threw in his own personal life experiences.  Those stories really brought the whole book to life for me.  I could hear it and see it all happening in my mind.  He did the flashbacks in such a way that it was easy to follow and understand. 
                After reading this book I have a much better idea of what it was like and is like for soldiers in the military.  The things they see and go through are tortuous and should never happen to anyone.  For me though, this was a good way for me to learn about history and war all in the same story.  Although sometimes there was a little too much description I felt it helped me to understand things later in the book. 
                I think this is a great book I would recommend for all libraries to have on their shelf.  It is just full of information and a great story to learn about war and history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books I love...

  • Shiver, Linger, Forever, Ballad, Lament, The Horse Whisperer, Scorpio Races, A Wrinkle in Time, Diary of Young Girl, Poets for Young Adults, The Chocolate War, The Things They Carried, Forever, The Giver,