Welcome!

This blog is set up for anyone who loves to read but especially anyone who enjoys a good Young Adult selection. I am 34 but have found the I truly enjoy many of the Young Adult books! One of my favorite authors is the author of Shiver, Linger and Forever, Maggie Stiefvater. I am looking forward to sharing many books that I have read and will be reading and I hope you too will share your own Young Adult books that you may be reading! Any suggestions, ideas or comments are greatly appreciated! I hope you enjoy this as much as I am!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hinton, S.E. (1995). The Outsiders. New York: Penguin.




     Having never read this book before I was not sure what I was going to be reading about. I did read the back cover and thought it sounded interesting. It gave me just enough information to hook my interest. The cover kinda of brought me in a little with it's pictures of the main characters and a dark little town. Looked kind of mysterious to me.
     When I opened it up the print was a little bigger than I was used to. It is very light weight and easy to fit into a backpack or bag.
     I began reading the first chapter and I was engulfed in book. The story was easy to follow and the words just flowed through my brain. I often felt like I was there with them and watching it all unfold in front of me. They style of writing was simple and easy to understand with just enough descriptions to make it all fall into place in my mind. There were lots of characters within the book. Each character had it's own purpose but the three main characters were Ponyboy, Darrel or Darry, and Soda. They are brothers who's parents were killed in a tragic car accident and the three were left together to survive. Darry, the oldest works and tries to take care of the boys and is always hard on Ponyboy. Soda is the next oldest and his is very fun loving and protective of Ponyboy. Ponyboy is the youngest and can't stand Darry. He thinks Darry doesn't like him at all but he is very close with his brother Soda. Ponyboy, is not like his other brothers, he is very smart, does well in school, loves movies. The story takes place in Oklahoma in the 1960's. Ponyboy, who is telling the story does a great job helping the reader see and feel what is happening around him. Ponyboy is from the “Greasers”. Greasers were the not so popular group who had rough homes and rough lives. The Socs or the upper class, wealthy, good home kids were always fighting with the greasers. The battle still remains today. There are the popular kids or the jocks and then there is everyone else. This book is not only great for teenager readers but great for any generation who wants to “know” what is going on. Life is difficult as it is when you are a teenager let alone always being labeled as one or the other. Ponyboy gives you a huge inside look into his life and goings on and really helps you to see the good in everyone and the pain that teenagers go through in being judged.
     This is definitely a must read for any young adult or any one. The story is still the same to day and relates to life today but has a great message about not really knowing who people are just by where they come from. This is a book that every library should have on its shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books I love...

  • Shiver, Linger, Forever, Ballad, Lament, The Horse Whisperer, Scorpio Races, A Wrinkle in Time, Diary of Young Girl, Poets for Young Adults, The Chocolate War, The Things They Carried, Forever, The Giver,